Filter content by area of interest
Handling Equipment/Systems
Ports & Terminals
Transport & Distribution
Materials & Commodities
Storage
Processing
ICT & Telecoms
Civil Engineering
Mining
Environment
Safety & Security
Business
 View all Topics View all Topics A-Z
More View all Topics View all Topics A-Z

You are viewing this article with our compliments. 


register  or  login  to manage your newsletter preferences and to prevent this message from appearing.

First Surat coal gets the nod

Miner Glencore has reactivated plans for the A$7B Wandoan coal project near Roma in the Surat Basin in Southwest Queensland.

Linked InTwitterFacebook

The commodity giant first applied for the mining leases in 2007, but put plans on hold in 2013. While development is still some way from proceeding – and Glencore said this will only occur when market conditions allow – in early August, the Queensland Government approved the grant of three 27-year leases over the 30,000-ha Stage 1.

When operations begin, the mine could produce up to 22 Mtpa of high-quality thermal coal. It will be the first major coal project of this scale in the Surat Basin.

A major impediment to the development is the current lack of a rail link from the basin to the port of Gladstone.

Glencore is to acquire a 49% interest in the Hunter Valley Operations coal mine in New South Wales, from Yancoal Australia. This follows Yancoal’s acquisition of Coal & Allied from Rio Tinto. Glencore will acquire a 16.6% interest in HVO directly from Yancoal, and the companies will work together to acquire Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd’s 32.4% interest in HVO to achieve Glencore’s 49% stake.

Linked InTwitterFacebookeCard

Latest Features

Bedeschi in collaboration with EGA in Africa

Mineral sands take off in Mozambique

Grain gain for Port of Virginia

Baltic boom for port terminals

Linked In
Twitter